Webster's Definition: to behave amorously without serious intent;
to show superficial or casual interest or liking
Flirtation: attention without intention
~Max O'Rell, John Bull and His Island
Flirting can be considered both a sport and an art as witty repartee is tossed back and forth. Most times it is harmless, for it keeps emotional intimacy out of the equation. It is great practice for those fine-tuning their "dating legs" after a long hiatus.
Here are some key elements of flirting.
1. Smile. This is the most important ingredient. A smile can light up your face, but make sure to smile with your eyes as well as your lips for the full effect. It is beckoning to others, for they will find you open and approachable.
2. Maintain eye contact. Hone in on your target, although extended staring is sort of creepy. When you speak to someone, do not let your eyes wander to see if there is anything better out there.
3. Be brave. Say hello first. This brave gesture will be appreciated and rewarded, especially from the more shy who may have wanted to make the first move but couldn't muster up the courage to do so.
4. Speak little and hear much. You don't have to be a great conversationalist to flirt. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. Get the ball rolling and then just listen!
5. Exude self-confidence. Be confident without being condescending. Confidence and positive attitude go hand-in-hand.
6. Be inclusive vs exclusive. Be an equal opportunity flirter -- that is, flirt with those to whom you may not be first attracted, too. Once the conversation starts going, you may rethink your position.
7. Have fun with flirting. It should be light-hearted and good spirited banter. Everyone should leave with good feelings.
8. Utilize a conversation starter. If you have a hard time initiating the flirt, use a prop. Kids and dogs always encourage conversation. For women, you could try Hair Shimmers; they are a great conversation magnet! The bottom line ... all you need is something that will encourage others to approach you.
Now, go get your flirt on and have some fun!!