Thursday, July 15, 2010

Seeing The Real You

I found a good way to work through grief (and other issues) is reading the wisdom of others. Why reinvent the wheel? For eons, lots of smart and deep thinkers have pondered the meaning of life and one's place in the world.

So, I read a great variety of books, articles, etc and take bits and pieces of each -- the ones I feel would be a good fit in my life and belief system. This helps me to formulate a plan on how to move forward and makes me think about the types of new thoughts I want to incorporate into my daily life.

During my mourning period, when I was in a frantic search for answers -- anything that could make me feel better -- I ran across Deepak Chopra's book, The Way of the Wizard, Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want. I immediately knew I had found something that deeply resounded with me.

It is written as a dialogue between Merlin (the wizard) and (King) Arthur as a young boy. Merlin, as the personification of our wisest self, "teaches" Arthur about life, love and the world at large through lessons and examples.

In the coming days, I will share with you my favorites.

"A memory is a once-living thing turned into a dead image.
But as long as I can forget you every day,
then I will wake up to see you anew the day after.
I will see the real you, stripped of outworn images."


I believe these few short sentences hold a powerful message. If every time we interact with someone, we forget all our preconceived notions of "who he or she was", then judgment can be obliterated. As each person is, hopefully, always evolving, we can simply accept him/her as he/she is at that moment in time -- rather than how we "remember" him or her. Moreover, we can also begin to accept ourselves as we are today and not as we were yesterday or many yesterdays ago. In this way, every day is an opportunity for change and growth.

Next up ... "Who am I?"

No comments:

Post a Comment