Friday, January 25, 2013

Quotes For All Occasions

I admit it! I have been an incorrigible quoter since I was a teenager. In fact, on my 18th birthday, my boyfriend even bought the book “Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations” for me, which contains a whopping 1500 pages of quotations on every topic imaginable. This may not sound romantic to you, but it was to me because he bought me something he knew I would cherish forever vs. some trinket that could become outdated or break. 

He was pretty smart for one so young (which is probably why I eventually married him!). Without knowing it, he was following the Platinum Rule, which says that you should not only love thy neighbor as thyself (which is what the Golden Rule promotes), but you should also love thy neighbor the way thy neighbor wants to be loved. 

I have always found inspiration in reading quotes, and I tried to pass this on to the high school English students I taught. Each day, I posted a new quote on the blackboard with the hope that it could help them navigate the dangerous jungle of high school.




I’m also a big believer in not reinventing the wheel. So if you can find someone who is regarded with respect and authority and can beautifully express your thoughts, I say quote them! After all, as Julio Cortázar said, “In quoting others, we cite ourselves.” 

I’ve continued this practice on Facebook and in my many self-help books because as Shannon L. Alder said, “Inspirational quotes are dances of light that shine in dark places during your life.” And we all could use a little ray of hope and light to brighten up the days of our lives, which is what I aim to provide for my readers and clients. 




Many other people post quotes on Facebook, too. Even Abraham Lincoln said, “It is a pleasure to be able to quote lines to fit any occasion.” Or maybe people use quotes because “they are short on time, but long on big ideas,” as Bruce Edwin suggests. 

Personally, I think it’s interesting to share quotes but to also report how it affects you or what you think it means. Now, not everyone is going to agree with your interpretation, but reading alternate meanings can open up doors for new thoughts. And it is new thoughts that can change your perception of how you see the world. In turn, this allows you to make beneficial changes that can enhance your life.

Jay Woodman said, “Notice, when looking at quotes of each person – you'll never agree with every single quote of anybody's. We all have a different view of reality, of what is meaningful. This is why we can never argue, or there would be no man left alive – we have to agree to disagree, and just get on with it, maybe laugh a little too. It's wonderful really – delightful – the infinite variety of wisdom and beauty! Let's accept it gladly.” 

I’d love for you to share your favorite quote in the comment box and tell why it is so meaningful to you. Or, perhaps you have a special saying that you have thought up by yourself. And, if it resounds with me, I'm letting you know that I'm going to quote you too!






No comments:

Post a Comment