If you haven’t dated in a long time, you might be feeling anxious about your first encounters. You might worry that you won’t have enough to talk about or that your date might find you boring.
In truth, keeping a conversation going is not as hard as starting the ball rolling. Consequently, keep in mind that a good majority of people like to talk about themselves. So, if you are nervous, forget about being interesting. Just be interested in what your date has to say.
Now, you don’t want your time together to turn into a question and answer interval, but you can still pose questions to spark conversation.
Following are 10 questions you could ask your date. After he/she has answered, you can chime in with your comments. As a bonus, you will have the “leg up” because you already know the questions, so you can prepare some fascinating tidbits to share!
1. What are some things that make you laugh or just go hmmm?
2. What was the best thing about your family life when you were a young child?
3. What were you like when you were a child? In what ways have you changed? In what ways have you stayed the same?
4. Did you have a funny nickname when you were a child? Do you have one now? What’s the story behind the name?
5. Who had the greatest influence on you while you were growing up? Was it a teacher, relative, friend, public figure? Do you have a mentor today who influences you or in what ways does he/she guide you?
6. What is one thing about you that would surprise me?
7. Do you have a special talent?
8. What’s your favorite movie, TV show, band, etc.?
9. What’s your favorite way to spend your free time?
10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be and why?